Wednesday, January 5, 2011

A confession

So I have a confession.  I am a self-taught knitter and with being said, I am not a very good teacher.  I used a lot of tutorials, but for some reason closed my brain off to how the needles were being inserted into the yarn.  I had one person show me how to do the knit stitch, she is mainly a crocheter and knows enough knitting to get by.  So I learned how to knit through the back loop, creating the twisted stitch when you knit stockinette.  I always wondered why my knitting looked funny and really couldn't figure it out.  So a few month's ago I bought the 400 Knitting Stitches book, I have used it for learning a few stitches.  I totally ignored the beginning where they talk about casting-on, the knit stitch and the purl stitch.  Well a few days ago I was tired of my twisted stitches and decided to see what the heck I was doing wrong.  DUH!  I was doing the whole darn stitch backwards!  Really, really?  Who does that?!  So here I am re-teaching myself and undoing what I did.  It's kind of fun, but it is more frustrating.  So now all these beautiful hand knits I have made that have a twisted stitch to them are really, really driving me crazy.  Oh well, maybe I can keep turning a blind eye and pretend it's all "OK".  Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment